Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Happy summer solstice!

Korea: 06/21/11 Night

MIA on this blog for the past couple of days... the fatigue I mentioned earlier is no joke! But I still carried on with a flurry of activities because I can rest when I'm back home.. gotta make the most of my time here! Pictures are pretty minimal because I got lazy about documenting everything.. lots of food and my mug up in herre today.

06/19/11


 

SO. On Sunday, one of my mom's best friends came over with her daughter. The daughter is the same age as me (3 months older), and according to our moms, this is the GREATEST COINCIDENCE EVER and this is the world telling us that we are destined to be best friends now too! Here we are, the ultimate mother-daughter dream team at a coffee shop. Can't touch this.



In actuality, I awkwardly asked questions in my usual grammatically-challenged Korean, while she played with her iPhone. There was just too much pressure for us, complete and total strangers, to be bffs! It ended up being fine though. She's going to take me to see her friend's indie band play, so that's friendship enough in my book. Plus, eating ice cream/waffles and seeing huge Lassies are good icebreakers.


The Dream Team continued the festivities by hanging out at Chunggyechun, this stream with lots of lights and such. I'd venture to say we were the only non-couple group there. Woo moms and daughters represent!

06/20/11

For lunch, my mom went to eat lunch at her friend's house near Jangji station where a bunch of her high school friends were meeting, and I tagged along. Ate a lot. Per usual.


And then later in the day, met up with my good friend M in Gangnam. We haven't seen each other in a while, so we chatted for a couple hours over coffee and window-shopped a little. Then we met up with J for dinner. I got soba.. I love the ice cubes in it.. soo refreshing. Later briefly checked out Sinchon with J.



J cracks me up in these pics, so I'm posting them both. :) I wanted a pic of all of us with the cool street background.

06/21/11

Today I met up with M again, this time at Ehwa Women's University. Pretty cool area. We took these pics in front of the school's chapel, walked around, ate lunch. I probably won't be able to chill with M again while I'm in Korea so this is the last time we'll be seeing each other in person in a while.

And that is that! I always mean to include little observations as well in these posts, but by the time I upload the pics and caption them, I'm wiped. Here are a few though:
-No ovens in homes.. just cabinets/drawers underneath the stove.
-No bathtubs.. the entire bathroom is your shower.
-No central air conditioning.. they use this ac "box" in the corner of the room (the size of a grandfather clock).
-No dryers.. use good old fashioned clothespins/clotheslines/racks to dry clothes.
-No tax or tip paid in restaurants.. awesome. Esp when the food is cheap already.
-No beds (at least where I'm staying). Just a puffy pad, a bean bag pillow, and a blanket, and you're good to go. Fold it up in the morning and put it away, so that sleeping space is now living space.

No comments:

Post a Comment