Monday, October 17, 2011

On being left-handed

As a little Asian girl, being left-handed was always a point of surprise to many people; namely, Korean adults that thought it was weird or flat-out wrong. Even my mom briefly thought about training me to have the standard right-handedness.

Growing up, the issue became inconsequential. I adjusted to our right-handed world, it became more acceptable to be left-handed, and it was just no big deal.

However, I just HAD to choose a profession where handedness matters, to a certain degree. Out of 96 people in my class, only 4 of us are southpaws. Today, we were working on one of the lower right teeth, which is relatively comfortable for most of my classmates. I was struggling. Not playing the blame game because I def have a lot to practice and learn regardless, but I realized that part of the reason was because I had trouble positioning my dominant hand in the mouth.  It wasn't until I talked to another left-handed classmate, who had some difficulty as well, that this clicked. Had we been assigned a lower left tooth (and we probably will be at some point), it would have been easier.

Anyway. I like being left-handed. Adds to what makes me special! :P

No comments:

Post a Comment