Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Color combinations

I tend to wear strong and/or neutral colors. Especially since it's fall, which kind of demands it. Pastels, like the Easter egg variety (light blues, purples, pinks, etc.), kind of scare me. I was thinking about color combinations, and it occurred to me that I really like the idea of maroon and olive green together.



You're feeling me, right? Right?! I think people get scared off because it's embedded in our minds that red and green together equal "Christmas colors", but the key is how they are approached.

First, shade. Even I would agree that bright hues of either will scream "I'm Santa's little helper! Let me roll up in here on this reindeer!", but when toned down, they're not bad. Secondly, how they are worn. Good color blocking with separates. I have an Army green anorak that I adore. I wear it with everything! I can see a maroon knit scarf pairing nicely with it, or a thinly-striped thermal.

So yeah. If this takes off as a trend, you heard it here first. :) If not, then Christmas is just 2 months away!

No comments:

Post a Comment