Saturday, October 15, 2011

I think I'll try defying gravity


Saw Wicked last night. It was a spur of the moment decision to go-I got a text earlier in the day from a friend who happened to have an extra ticket, and I jumped at the chance to see it. As with everything else that is wildly popular, I was skeptical that this would live up to its hype, but hoped that it would. I am happy to report that it was every bit as AMAZING as it should have been.

Upon coming home from the show, I immediately listened to several of the tracks (thanks Youtube). However, I'm seeing that like Shakespeare, whose works are often read solely for literary value, songs from musicals are meant for performance. The magic that left me in awe in the theater isn't quite replicated in the recordings. I liked "Defying Gravity" before seeing Wicked, but it's like living in a 2-D world and all of a sudden discovering a 3rd dimension. I see that I was missing out!

Lastly, this play resonated with me because, and maybe it's a complex that I just need to get over, I, too have often felt like the misfit. Little Miss Misunderstood, in so many ways. And I think this musical is for those whose truths have gone beyond what meets the eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment