Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Looking forward to hearing "I hate the dentist" 93874398 times..

10 reasons why your dentist probably hates you too.

A classmate sent this blog post to our class.. just a humorous rant about what this former dentist wishes she could have said to her patients sometimes.

What struck me most about reading this was that the author mentioned that she left her career as a dentist and is now doing something else. Out of curiosity, I tried to learn more about why she decided not to continue practicing. I found another post where she states, "It’s been 10 years of thinking, 'it will get better,' or, 'I just need more experience,' or, 'maybe it’s the job and not the career.' It’s been filled with ups and downs of trying to make it work while simply wanting to give up. There were moments of clarity when I knew it wasn’t my match. There were other moments of clarity brought on by the few precious experiences that made me smile at the end of a day– only resulting in utter confusion. And ultimately I was left feeling defeated because I almost always felt like I was not myself."

In my undergrad days of praying, "soul-searching", and figuring out what I wanted to do with my life, my biggest concern about going into dentistry was that I would grow to resent this field, or fall out of love with it, or realize that it's not for me at all. Even at age 20 I knew that I was young and clueless, and picking a career path could very well be the equivalent of drawing it out of a hat.

I don't know. I guess I keep searching for personal confirmation that I'm in the right place. Perhaps it's pure naivety, but I'm looking forward to being a dentist. The thought of seeing my first patient excites me. In other words, I don't identify with this writer at all, which I'm taking as a good sign.

And if I'm wrong, it's comforting to know that it's possible to get out of the business. :) Just saying..

No comments:

Post a Comment