Thursday, July 7, 2011

Adventures in teaching

I've never really been in a teaching position before, so this has been a quite interesting, yet exhausting experience. I want to fall asleep by 8:00pm!

I actually made a girl in my homeroom cry yesterday. :O She wouldn't come up to the board
 to participate in my activity, and when I made her, she burst out crying! I took her outside of the classroom and calmed her down, but in my head I was like "OMG she is going to hate English, she probably hates me, this must be a traumatic experience for her, blah blah blah". But I've learned that kids bounce back quite quickly. She is probably the student that loves me the most at this point, strangely.

I've also learned a few things about myself. I kind of feared that I would be walked all over by these kids, but it turns out that I'm more authoritative than I thought. Kids get unruly, so in those cases I have to call them out, assign seating when necessary, stare at them silently until they figure out that I won't continue the lesson until they are quiet. And surprisingly, they listen. I forgot that for kids, adults' words are law. It's a powerful position. :)

I also now know that teaching English as a second language is definitely not for me (Lots of repetition, lots. And it gets old), but teaching in itself is pretty rewarding. I love when my kids see me outside of class and are like "Teacher! Teacher!" and are excited to see me. I love when I teach them something and they're eager to follow. It's pretty neat.

I have a lot of pictures I need to upload but I'm tired!

No comments:

Post a Comment