Thursday, August 29, 2013

Adventures in dentistry

So it's been close to a month since the fall semester of my 3rd year started. Compared to last year, when I would regularly come home at 7 or 8pm working on projects (read: close to 12 hours per day at school... and then often having to study at home after), so far it's been eerily chill. Minus some appointments where I get spastic and crazy. But at least I come home at normal hours of the day now!

Yesterday I had a really good appointment. I gave my patient the cleaning of her life! It was one of those times that I really felt that I was truly understanding what I was doing and knew exactly how to achieve the results I wanted. Err... sorry patients' teeth that I have previously cleaned... I will do better next time! Plaque, calculus was flying all over the place. The best part was that she told me she always had a hard time getting numb, and even though I was prepared for the worst, she was anesthetized quickly/in one injection! She was pleasantly surprised. "I had dentists who had to get me to come in 30 minutes early because they always had trouble getting me numb." I felt like she gained more confidence and trust in me as her student dentist, and I also felt more confident after the appointment.

But then, today. Simple exam, but I just could not get it together! Even though I tried to be as prepared as possible, everything seemed to somehow take forever to do. Thankfully, my patient was, ahem, patient, and gracious about everything. I'm sure I looked like a crazy person running around everywhere and nervously asking if she was doing okay every five seconds.

So lots of highs and lows, but not bad so far. Not bad at all. SO FAR, being the operative phrase.

No comments:

Post a Comment