Thursday, September 27, 2012

Changing last names after marriage

I just read a blog article about whether a woman (or man marrying a woman, as the article added) should change her/his last name after marriage.

Until recently, I'd always thought that if I do get married, I would definitely take my husband's last name. Just out of tradition, and wanting to create a family unit with everyone sharing a single name. 

However, the blog made me realize that there is now a part of me that perhaps would like to keep my last name. It's unique, and is one of the only ties I have to my Japanese heritage, which is all but non-existent in my life. Plus, once I start working, I would prefer to be called by my current last name because I earned my degree as T. CurrentName, not T. NewName. Is that selfish? >_<

So I thought that maybe legally I would keep my last name, to use professionally, and then use my husband's name socially. But then it made me kind of sad that we would die with different legal last names. I know it wouldn't be true at all, but it makes the marriage sound a tiny bit fraudulent/less valid to me. 

Anyway, this is not something that I have to worry about anytime soon so these are just random musings of a sleepy T.

No comments:

Post a Comment