Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Figuring out my learning style

I'm horrible, horrible, horrible some more, and then BAM something clicks, and I get it. Then I gain confidence, and with the practice, I do alright.

It doesn't seem to be a gradual process for me, as would be expected. One day I suck, and the next is smooth sailing.

This is important to know, because I tend to accept that I'm no good too prematurely. I think I'm always going to stay at the same level, when competence is just around the bend. Understanding how I work is helping me to not give up!

How this ties into dental school (because all my posts tie into dental school, obviously): I've been struggling with working with composite since the beginning of the semester, and I've been getting pretty frustrated as of late. This one faculty showed me the techniques like 384378 times and yet, I still felt incapable of working with it on my own. Like it would look like a perfect little tooth when the faculty did it, and then when I tried, it looked like a big fat ugly scratched up ice cube lol. Anyway, I worked my little paws off even as of yesterday without much success, but today dun dun dun! The composite had the resemblance of a shiny front tooth (#9). Not perfect, but I feel like I got the hang of it! And with that, I feel a bit more confident about next week's competency.

This can also apply to some hobbies I'm thinking of getting back into: tennis, knitting, guitar (if I can get a hold of one), and my new interest in Spanish. I'm subpar at best in all of these, but maybe I'll try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment