Monday, July 2, 2012

teresias05

In my many quests to procrastinate, I started thinking about AIM again. Yes, old school instant messenger. It used to be THE mode of communication back in the day--I suppose having someone's instant messenger name on your buddy list was the equivalent of being "friends" on facebook, in today's terms.

I've since moved on to gchat, though I don't use it much these days either. But out of curiosity, I signed on to my old instant messenger screen name account through meebo.com, which, incidentally, is shutting down in a week or so. I used to use that during my shifts when I worked at the library to avoid downloading the AIM program to the computers at the desk. Anyway, I was actually surprised that not a single person was online on my buddy list. Literally NO ONE uses the application anymore--for some reason I thought there would be one or two people still holding out, at the very least integrating AIM into gchat or something. Weird..

Also, going through the buddy lists were names that I no longer associate with people who are still my good friends (there were some silly names I'm dying to bring back lol), along with aliases that belong to people I truly can't remember anymore, and even more of people with whom I've lost touch.

There's definitely some cheesy metaphor for life in this, but rather than elaborating, I need to go study the kidney system.

Random pic of my communication of choice back in '05. Not associated with any of these screen names/people.

No comments:

Post a Comment