Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Good day

I had such a great appointment with my patient this morning. The very definition of why I want to be a dentist. This was especially needed in the midst of my recent questioning in why I want to do this as a career.

Reasons why:
-Patient actually arrived. There was a minor problem with her account and I wondered if it would deter her from coming, but she kept her appointment. My #1 pet peeve in life right now is patients that no show with no warning.. I understand dire circumstances but otherwise, these people are wasting my time.
-She did not have rampant decay like someone who just doesn't care about oral health. I had another patient the other day who is going to lose two teeth due to decay. And it's frustrating because this patient did NOT have to lose those! It was entirely preventable!
-Fillings were done efficiently and without complication. Patient was satisfied with the results, and seeing the difference I made was fulfilling.
-The faculty I was working under called her treatment a "once in a lifetime experience" due to something unique about her teeth. It was cool to get an opportunity to work on such a case.
-While I was waiting for faculty to check my work, we had pleasant conversation, building up dentist-patient rapport. This is the type of relationship I would like to have with my regular patients someday when I practice on my own.
-As we parted ways I said that it was great working with her. She said the same, and added that "you are a much better dentist than the ones I had before." I have much more to improve upon, as I am aware of nearly every appointment I have with a patient, but this was so encouraging to hear. My recent lack of confidence has increased a little bit through this appointment.

I wish all my appointments were this simple and happy, but unfortunately life often complicates them.

No comments:

Post a Comment